The pattern: Style 1246, dated 1975. I've had it for years intending to make it 'sometime.' Actually I think I started it once in denim, but it got abandoned half-way through.
This time I made View 1, the long red one second from the right.
Alterations: The thing I love about this is it has a back seam, so I can make it fit perfectly. It was a little big in the upper back, but otherwise it fits pretty perfectly.
The buttons/fastenings don't line up completely but for a first time making it I'm not that fussed.
The material is a mystery find - all I know is it's kind of woolly but it's not thick and it's not scratchy. Going by the $5 price tag stapled on it I got it from a sale somewhere.
I thought the fabric was completely suited to this pattern. Now that I've actually made it, I still think it's ok but it's turned out slightly more wintery than I realised it would. It's kind of hard to summer-ise a winter dress. Especially one made in woolly fabric.
With long sleeves I think it looks better. As long as I don't gain or lose any substantial amount of weight before next winter I'll be happy to wear it then! (I will also not tuck my blouse into my tights when I wear it in public... mmm, hot)
I might try it in a lighter fabric - something like lawn or toile/voile/whatever the hell it is, or with silk in it to try and make it more summery. I will probably also use a zip fastening instead of the buttons because the fabric loops for the buttons are a total pain. Not making them, but getting them all even and lined up perfectly... bleh.
On that note, my next project will definitely not have buttons! Or loops!