Saturday 22 February 2014

1940's robe in satin and lace

Over the past 3 years I have regularly pulled this fabric out of a plastic bag, looked at it, despaired, and put it away again. It's an insanely slippery satin which feels like silk and I knew it would be a complete pain to cut out and sew.

Last weekend, inspiration finally hit.


 The pattern is Butterick 5152
 B5152

The fabric is not exactly 1948-appropriate, but I think it works pretty well!1970's does 40's??

I didn't have quite enough fabric for the length, so I used some black lace for the yoke detail and for a band around the lower edge of the skirt. Apart from that I made no alterations.




These close up photos show the colour most accurately - it's quite a magenta/purple tone and not as pink as it looks in some of these photos.



I LOVE these sleeves. They're incredibly full and billow around like mad. They remind me of a wizard's cape/cloak.

 


The lace is stretchy and adds a lot of weight - perfect for twirling about and sweeping dramatically up and down the hallway (or anywhere really)






Oh! And my hair is purple! I spent two days bleaching the black out of it, dyeing it a permanent purple colour, banging my head against the wall because it didn't work, and then covering up the lot with Paintbox Purple Haze. Success! 
My hair is now quite fluffy because of the bleach but I like being fluffy.


The End.
 

14 comments:

  1. It looks wonderful, the sleeves are fab, I love some poofy sleeve action! It's a really nice pattern xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melanie! The pattern is very elegant and can look quite glamorous - I once made this for my cousin in pale pink satin with pink marabou on the sleeve cuffs. I wish I had a photo of it to add to this post!

      Delete
  2. Alluringly beautiful robe/dressing gown! On its own, I agree, that fabric doesn't immediately say "1940s", yet when put to use with this vintage pattern, it suddenly takes on more a forties novelty print quality and adapts to the decade surprisingly well. It feels a bit mid-century avant-garde and is redolent of something Schiaparelli might have created.

    Have a marvelous weekend!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you Jessica! I can honestly say I've never had anything I've made compared to Schiaparelli before! That's quite a compliment :)

      Delete
  3. This is wonderful! I think it looks perfectly like 40s, even if the print is something "risky" for it. You did a perfect job adding black lace. I look at the pictures and I think this fabric is called (in my country) "angel skin", it's smooth and slick. I just discovered your blog from Jessica's blog and love this site, I now follow you, dear Lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosy! I really appreciate the compliment. I was pleased with the effect of the black lace too. I do like the name angel skin!

      Delete
  4. It looks lovely with the lace accents, and those sleeves are magnificent! So was the fabric as difficult to work with as you'd thought? :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it really was! Being a bit of a cheaper sewist I did nothing to stabilise the seams which didn't help. But this project was purely for fun, so I was able to largely ignore the difficulties. And it was worth it!

      Delete
  5. I really wish Australia and the US weren't so far because I'd love to have you as my sewing buddy {so I'd actually do it instead of procrastinating}. Love this robe so much and even more for what you did with it. Lovely!

    Cute as can be with the purple hair. I love how subtle it is. I'm not going to dye mine quite yet. I have to let my hair rest from all the recent changes to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sean! I wish I could be a sewing buddy for you and other people who are also not in Australia! I need to stop making clothes for myself or my wardrobe will bust.
      The purple hair is fun to have. When yours has recovered I highly recommend it :)

      Delete
  6. Ooo, saucy wench!!!
    The robe is rather magnificent!!! I like the lace, I think that's a brilliant addition, especially for a bit of weight at the bottom.
    I love fluffy beach hair too! XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I love being called a wench ;) And thank you! xx

      Delete
  7. Wow that 1940s gown suits you like a dream!

    ReplyDelete