Saturday 5 April 2014

China blue

Damn and blast all washed out photos! 
 
 

This fabric - a bed sheet I picked up in an op-shop - was originally white, which looked far too stark for a dress and since when do I wear white anyway? So I took to it with a packet of China Blue dye.


The pattern is New Look 6587, view D.


Alterations: I took the bodice waaaaaay in. It looks loose on the model on the pattern envelope but fitted in the design drawings. Considering it has princess seams I don't really understand why it would be so loose-fitting. So I took mine in.

The other alteration is I used a zip instead of buttons. I really just don't enjoy the fiddlyness of buttons and matching them up with button holes, blah blah blah... and I just happened to have a zip which matched perfectly.



Brief life update: 
I have quite my job of 10 years, and my final week is next week. This is rather scary but I am looking forward to a change. 
 
Jay and I have split up. We had a wonderful time together and I am glad I can still call her a friend.

And, and! I have a new tattoo! You can see half of it here and in the third photo above. It is two swallows, one on each shoulder. I only had it done on Wednesday so it's still quite bruised and tender.


AND in a few short hours I'll be attending the debauchery that is Helgastock2014! There may or may not be photos, depending on how incriminating they are...

So yes. New dress, new tattoo, new life. Loving it.

(final gratuitous photo just because I like it)

19 comments:

  1. I love the subtle blue it now has, it's so pretty. I love the swallow tattoos too, they're so pretty x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melanie, they've all healed up now and look great :)

      Delete
  2. Goodness I'm so glad I randomly visited and saw this post of yours. You are a breath of fresh air as always. This dress is SO beautiful, and I love the tattoo. I would like to visit here more often, but forgive me if I don't follow up on that!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh oh oh! And good luck with the new transition in your life. You are kick ass!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's nice to see you're still around too :)

      Delete
  4. The fabric and pattern were made for each other ... brilliant idea to dye it china blue first!

    Love the new tattoos and good luck with your new life. It all sounds very exciting! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was very pleased with the blue colour too

      Delete
  5. Great dress! I'm going to look for that pattern.
    Hugs for all the changes in your life. That's a lot all at once.
    I love all of your tats. They look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it has been a bit overwhelming. The pattern is so easy to make, definitely try it!

      Delete
  6. I am sorry to hear you and Jay split, but so happy you are both friends. I know so few couples who rarely stay friends. Snaps for you both!! And cheers to you for quitting your job, and I wish you nothing but the best for your new life changes!!

    And I just love your frames and hair so much! I have had so many fails with my purple hair attempts. Can you come and help me with mine?? :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sean, I would love to come over and do your hair with you! I use that Loreal purple colour and I put a Paintbox wash over it every couple of weeks to keep it fresh. I hope you find your purple soon!

      Delete
  7. Sweet dear, from the bottom of my heart, I'm so sorry to hear that you and Jay have parted ways. Thank you for sharing such an intimate fact with us publicly online. Please know that I'm always here for you if you need someone to talk to about anything. {{{Hugs}}}

    Your new tattoo, as well as this elegant dress, are both strikingly beautiful.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jessica, I really appreciate it :)

      Delete
  8. I wish you a grand life, something it is necessary to do drastic things like you did- I guess you were ready!
    I for my part healing slowly and when feell well enough look and comment great blogs like yours -

    Hopefully will back blogging soon

    I have my good and bad days with my concussion but all in all improving slowly

    Love

    Arianexo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ariane, I'm glad to hear you're recovering too! :)

      Delete
  9. Surely lots of things happened since I last commented on your blog. I'm sure that everything will turn out greatly for you. Enjoy your new tatoo and your new fabulous dress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I fecking LOVE it,. as you well know.............makes me want to grope you again!!!
    Thank you so frigging much for being so wonderful and coming along to Helgastock !!!! EEEEEEK!
    XXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know you can grope me any day you saucy wench! So good to see you again :) x

      Delete