I've finally got around to making the dress pictured in this post earlier this year.
Alterations: pretty much everything.
It took FOREVER to trace these pattern pieces from the magazine pattern sheet. They are all printed over the top of each other in a big mess. Then there's the instructions. They're just rambled out in a paragraph with no accompanying pictures or examples at all.
As far as I can tell, I did nothing according to the instructions. I think the waist-tie is supposed to be attached in two pieces, one to the outer seam of the wrap and one to the inner seam. The one attached to the inner seam comes through a hole of the opposite side seam...blah blah blah...
Who has the patience to try and figure out those kind of rambling nonsensicals? Also, there is supposed to be a flounce at the open seam. You can barely even see the flounce in the photos. Why is it there? What is the point?? What the hell IS a flounce???
I left it off.
I decided to keep the dress closed by way of two buttons, one at each side. And I just tied the waist tie around my waist. Rebellious, I know. And I made one side of the tie purple for contrast (also, I'd run out of fabric).
I made the sleeves short, instead of long, as the long sleeves are supposed to have an invisible zipper closure at the cuff. I hate, loathe and despise invisible zips.
I think it looks fine.
This fabric is different for me. It's a double knit, and I don't usually go for such busy prints. It's also a more casual style of dress than I usually wear. I think it will be a good go-to dress for Fridays.
I'll probably wear it with shoes if I wear it to work.
My holidays finish today. Waaaaaaa!