Thursday 31 May 2012

Autumnal florals

The sneak peak dress is here! This is the fabric I picked up at the Love Vintage show a couple of weeks ago.


(I am not wearing flats. Lousy heels sinking into wet ground.)
 
  

The pattern is Vogue 8766, view F. Alterations: sleeves. The sleeves are simple 3/4 sleeves with 3 little darts at the shoulder. I didn't know why they would have darts instead of the usual gathering stitch/seam/thing when I noticed the suggested fabrics for this dress are very delicate, lace, eyelet cotton, etc. Even so, I don't see why you would put darts in such light fabrics. Surely a gathering stitch would be easier? Anyway, I did the stupid darts and they look fine. (You can see them in the sneak peak picture actually.)

  

I altered the length of the sleeve, and made them slightly less BORING by widening them, then gathering them into a little cuff. Cap or little puff sleeves suit me way more than any other sleeve type. And they show off tattoos very well too!


My favourite thing about this dress? The skirt. It's a full circle skirt, and longer than I usually make. It hangs beautifully, and of course, flares out even more beautifully.

  

  

My second favourite thing about this dress is that it needs no alteration around the body. I cut it out in size 12, put it together, and it fits perfectly. EXCELLENT.

  

I wore it with my green coat (forgot to get any pics of me wearing it today though, dammit!) and some appropriate baubles: a 70's pendant and little white flower ring that kind of matches.

Clearly interrupting madam's dinner time, how DARE I?? 
 
  

  

Insert witty sign-off here!
 

17 comments:

  1. Like from the TV Show Mad Men :) I so so love it !

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is what i was expecting! this dress is perfect! i really feel jealous about this dress ... if you wanna get rid of it someday please think of me! ;)

    http://wardrobexperience.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I go crazy and decide to get rid of it, you'll be the first to know :)

      Delete
  3. That dress is fantastic and so is that coat! I wish I could sew as well as you do. Come to Denver and teach me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That dress is cute! I really need to get started on sewing. I have some dresses to alter and though it shouldn't take long, my procrastinating does.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have fairy hands, how wonderful to be able to create such a beauty, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fairy hands! That is such a beautiful compliment! Thank you :)

      Delete
  6. Aaaaaaah its so AWESOME! The longer length is super glam too. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a beautiful dress!
    Love the color, really, really nice

    Ariane xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This dress fits you so perfectly ! And I love how you accessorized it !
    http://selenite.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This dress is absolutely gorgeous. I love everything about it: the design, the pattern, the colors, etc. It fits you like a glove. You look stunning!

    This is a dress that I would purchase in a heartbeat. If I had money that is, ha! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOOOOOOVE it! You are so clever - the fabric is gorgeous, the sleeves are PERFECT and the full skirt is BEGGING for some twirly swirly pics! The coat is gorgeous - and I love the shitty expression on your kitty's face!! Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Utterly beautiful dress, well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know how I have missed all these posts. This dress is fantastic and the cameo is the cherry on top.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute dress! And I love your boots!

    ReplyDelete