Tuesday 1 May 2012

With a cherry on top

I feel like I should be working in a 50's diner and serving up ice cream sundaes with extra whipped cream when I wear this shirt (that's not very specific is it?)


I received this little delight in a parcel of fabulousness from Sister Sarah last week.


 

There was even a bonus necklace! The beads are actually much prettier than they look here.

 

But yeah, the shirt was way too big. 


  

 Quick interruption while my boyfriend comes round for a snuggle!


  

  

ANYWAY. Back to the shirt.

I took about 5 inches off the waist first. It has darts and it's stretchy, so it's really easy to take in. I also pulled the sleeves off at the side seams and narrowed both the sleeve and side seams.

 

I extended the darts up the back because it was still boofing out behind the underarms.


Then I took the trim off the sleeves, chopped the sleeves into a cap, and sewed the trim back on, gathering the lower edge of the sleeve into the trim.

  

  

So now I have this awesome retro shirt and I believe it NEEDS a red circle skirt to go with it. In wool, with a poodle applique, such as McCalls 6101:

M6101

Looks like I'll be needing some bobby socks too.

Who's happy?


6 comments:

  1. That shirt is so cute, and as you say it will be perfect with one od those 50s gorgeous skirts, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the changes you made to the shirt. Night and day difference.

    On a side note, I just noticed your dragonfly tattoos!! My back piece is also dragonflies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! That shirt is a WINNER!
    Sometimes my fave thing is to make something work that initially didn't! I love it,yay for Sister Sarah!
    Boyfriend?! I can tell he's got a wandering eye...XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He probably has dozens of lady friends around the neighbourhood but I still love him!

      Delete
  4. Totes adorbs! The shirt AND the kitty - gosh he's such a smoocher!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that Sarah ... isn't she an absolute darling??!!!! I love the makeover you've given the shirt, especially the wee puffy sleeves you've created, reusing the red piping - oh you clever woman!!!! It looks absolutely PERFECT on you and now I get to admire your beautiful ink:))) xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete